Buried in
An Interactive Guide to Burial Records in the Fingal Area


Balrothery Cemetery,
Co. Dublin.

The old Balrothery graveyard surrounds the disused church and “round tower” which stand on top of a steeply rising hill in the centre of the historic village of Balrothery. An old Norman tower lies just south of the church buildings. According to Dr. Egan there are records showing a church here prior to 1200. A stone marking the grave of a Patrick Farrell, 1722, who reputedly shod King William’s horse on his way south after the Battle of the Boyne was in the church until recent times, but has since gone missing. Dr. Egan recorded the earliest legible headstone as dating from 1710. The headstone of Margaret Susana Day, buried in 1794, reads:

“To the gentlest manners, worth, and beauty gone,
The tender wife, the mother, friend, in one
This tomb’s erected at a husband’s cost,
A sad memorial of a blessing lost,
Which yet conveys the lesson to the eye
What e’er our excellence, alas! We die.”

The buildings are looked after by the OPW.

Fingal County Council is responsible for this graveyard and its records.
Surveys: JAPMDI viii p45-49; Irish Mem. Assoc. Journal xii p399-404; Dr. Egan Vol.6 p42-116