The graveyard surrounds the ruins of an old church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The church was returned as in satisfactory condition in 1615, but by 1630 Archibishop Bulkeley reported that the chancel and nave were in ruins. A note on the visit of Isaac Butler to the site was printed in the JRSAI in 1892. In 1690 a company of Col. Foulke’s men were reputedly murdered while taking shelter there. Afterwards several of those deemed to have been responsible for the murders were executed. There is a local tradition that there was a tunnel connecting the burial ground to Luttrellstown Castle, 2 miles away. Burial place of Carmelites and Franciscans of the Third Order, 1811. Burial place of the Clergy of John’s Lane, Dublin 1773. Burial place of the Rorke family of Tyrellstown House. A Mrs Rose Nugent is buried here who died in 1756 aged a hundred and ten.
Dr. Egan transcribes the epitaph on a headstone for Rose Corrigan, who died aged 19, erected by her husband Patrick of the Coombe, Baker, as follows:
“To this sad shrine, wh’er thou art draw near,
Here lies the wife most lov’d, the daughter dear,
Who ne’er knew joy, but friendship might divide,
Or gave her husband grief but when she died.
How vain is reason, eloquence how weak,
If Pat must tell what Rose cannot speak.
Oh let thy once lov’d Pat inscribe thy stone
And with a mother sorrow mix his own.”
Records for more modern burials begin in 1891 to the present day.
Surveys: M. Egan Vol.5 p52 JAPMDI iii p444; v p379, viii p57-59, xii p226 & Vol. xiii p6. See also Ball Vol. vii p38-46